April 9, 2013

Donuts on My Mind

Breakfast makes me smile. Any time of the day. Anywhere. Well, maybe not anywhere but I love breakfast foods. Lately, I have had donuts on the brain. Growing up in Memphis, Tennessee, Howard's Donuts was the treat that couldn't be beat. Delicious, fresh, tasty. I remember going there as a girl and staring in amazement at the gleaming glass bakery case filled with heavenly glazed donuts of every flavor and kind. Back then, the old fashioned blueberry cake donut was my go to choice. It still holds a special glazed place in my heart and makes me feel like a kid again with every delicious bite.

In college, I fell head over heels for Blake and the amazing cream cheese filled donuts baked fresh each
morning at DoDah's Donuts in Jackson, Tennessee. On Sundays, Blake and I would get up early and hit DoDah's before driving to Linden, Tennessee to gather with our friends at the church. Blake grabbed the chocolate glazed and I picked a cream cheese filled with a cinnamon twist every time we could. So many great conversations were had and songs were sung between bites of those delicious donuts. Precious memories.

A few years passed and Blake and I married and moved to Kentucky. Our city hosts a variety of incredible one of a kind restaurants, but a good donut shop is hard to find.I have to give a shout out to
the hot Krispy Kreme glazed donuts that arrived at the office from time to time and melted in our thankful mouths. After years of searching and wondering and waiting on the perfect shop to arrive on our horizon, we finally stumbled into Plehn's Bakery -- a quaint family style shop in the heart of Louisville. I am not sure we have our regulars there yet but they have a great selection of fresh baked goods and mouth watering donuts available for the random Saturday morning trek.

Nowadays we are watching our wallets and I thought it would be helpful if I could find some homemade donut recipes to add to my collection. With so many salivating selections, I had to share a few! So check these awesome recipes out. Bake a donut. Eat a donut or two. Live a little more yummily this week. Donuts for Everyone!

The Pioneer Woman's Homemage Glazed Donuts

Joy of Baking's Cake Donuts

Brown Eyed Baker's Apple Fritter Donuts

Saveur Cinnamon Sugar Baked Donuts




No comments:

Post a Comment