April 13, 2013

The Doughnut Saga Conclusion


homemade dough
Doughnuts are a funny thing. They can make you giggle with delight or they can bring tears to your eyes. Never been there before? I have. Only just this morning I entered the kitchen with every intention of making the most delectable doughnuts I had ever tasted. I pulled the glass bowl out of the refrigerator and quickly began rolling it out over the freshly floured counter top. It was cold and beautiful. The dough stretched slowly and stubbornly across the foiled counter. Time to cut the doughnuts into the iconic holey circles we all know and love.

doughnut holesdoughnut cutterI reached into a nearby cabinet and pulled out my Pampered Chef Cut n' Seal tool. If you haven't checked this little tool out, you are missing out on an amazing little gadget. Basically the Cut n' Seal circular cuts any pastry and then, this is the coolest part, you press the button and it seals the outer edges, forming a pastry pocket. You can use it to make just about anything-- stuffed sandwiches, sweet or savory filled pies, doughnuts, etc. I love this gadget! But today, I just used it as a doughnut stencil. I found a container with a small opening that I used to form the inner circle and doughnut holes. 

sunlight
Next it was time to let these babies rise. I was ready. I had turned on the oven to heat up the kitchen earlier in the morning and there was no chance that these little guys would flop-- or so I thought. I cleaned up the kitchen and sat with Blake and the baby girl in the living room as the sun poured in the through the blinds. Blake was able to video chat with a good friend from Finland and they met each other's children via a google hangout. How amazing-- getting to chat with a friend in Finland for free face to face on a whim. I love technology! 
doughnut pan
An hour and twenty minutes later, I peeked under the paper towels I had covering the pans. Disappointment ensued as I realized my doughnuts were not rising. Charlie Brown and I had a moment of self pity then it was on to the hot oil. I was determined not to waste the fifteen doughnuts and forty-six doughnut holes into which I had invested so much time and energy.

pink flowerglazed donutsTwo by two they entered the ark... I mean, wait, who are we talking about? Oh, yes! So I dropped a few of the doughnuts in the oil at a time, turned them with a slotted spoon and placed them on a covered cookie sheet to dry. While the doughnuts were cooking, I whipped up a quick glaze. About ten minutes later, all of my doughnuts lined the baking sheet. I dipped them into the glaze and placed them back on the pan. At this point, the apartment was heating up so I opened the back door. A cool breeze drifted through and, as sunlight filled the room, I took a moment to enjoy the view. Spring was in our back yard. She is welcome to stay as long as she pleases.

homemade donut recipe
All things considered, the doughnuts turned out to be pretty tasty, despite a denser texture than I was expecting due to the fact that they didn't rise properly. I pulled out the chocolate doughnuts from yesterday and piled a couple on Blake's plate and a few of the glazed goodies on my own plate. Then we feasted. The milk flowed from the cartons into our waiting glasses. The doughnuts satisfied my sweet tooth and Blake's chocolate addiction. 

All that hard work and waiting paid off in the end. For now, I will leave the doughnut making to the pros. Try your luck and broaden your baking horizons. You never know what you may find. To be sure, an adventure awaits you. You've only to wish and it is yours. Roll with it. Get it? No, really, go make and enjoy some doughnuts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment