January 28, 2015

Against All Odds

Many people have more money than I;
Many are prettier too.
Many people are less stressed than I;
Many are dressed much finer.

Many have houses and jobs and land;
Some even spend their days on the sand.
Many people are much smarter than I;
Many are kinder too.

Many people will come;
Many people will go,
But I will stay here with you.

I don't have much to offer you, Dear.
No gold nor silver nor jewels.

I don't have the charm of a maiden fair,
Not the beauty of a violet rare,
Nor the flowery language of fools.

I don't possess the craftiness to woo and persuade a lover,
Nor have I any deep mystery that you have yet to uncover.

Still, I smile at you in the growing light
As the afternoon sun breaks through.
I confess that I know it now.
Against all odds,
No one loves me better than you.


 {Written for my husband, Blake, who loves me so unconditionally}
 Jennifer McKinney  01.28.15

No comments:

Post a Comment