October 9, 2015

Love Wins

Love is so much more powerful than fear in motivating us - toward success, toward obedience, toward respect, and the list goes on. When we understand what love is in its purest and truest form, we can love others and ourselves rightly, without condemnation, insecurity, judgement or fear. When we experience real love - untainted by manipulation, jealousy, selfishness, or greed- then we are free to love selflessly, deeply, without fear of rejection or abandonment. God is love. He loves you and me. God will never leave you or forsake you. Jesus said, "I am with you always, even to the end of the age." You are not alone, abandoned, or rejected. You are invited, accepted, adopted into a family of grace, mercy, and peace. Love wins. Love reigns. Love never ends. 

For most of my life, I lived in this state of constant condemnation. I hated who I was - a failure, a hypocrite, full of sin and this sense of sadness that wouldn't let me go. I looked around at smiling faces always seeming carefree and fun-loving and never worried about anything - at least that was how it seemed. It seemed like every person around me had a vibrant personality, lots of friends, always look like they just stepped out of the movies and never had a care in the world. My loneliness consumed me. My self-loathing ate away at my joy. Life felt purposeless, meaningless, and empty. Sure, there were moments of laughter, adventure, fun, but something black and stagnant flowed underneath the happiness in those times. 

I grew up in a Christian household, in church three or more times a week, involved in programs and activities. From a young age, I knew that God was real, that there was more to life than met the eye. I knew because I felt it in my gut and in my bones when the Bible was read and something stirred in me, a mysterious grace that rang out strong and true. As I grew older the novelty of the Bible wore off a bit. Calloused by the pain and hatred both in and around me, my heart was hardened to the words of the Bible. I didn't feel that spiritual awakening I once had when I opened the pages and read its contents. But I still couldn't shake the knowledge that there was a Creator that was pursuing me. I didn't always feel it or understand it. Why would an all powerful, omniscient God want me? What did He see in me worth dying for? 

As I have pondered those questions, His spirit has stirred up answers within me through those very words that seemed dry and lifeless days before. I am His child who was living a life of rebellion against Him. I was valuable to Him because He created me - mind, body and spirit. He wanted a relationship with me because He loves me as a good Father loves His child. And here is the kicker: There was nothing in me worth dying for, worth loving, or rescuing. Jesus Christ hung on a wooden cross, beaten and bloody, not because I am worthy of love but because He is Love. Because God so loved us, the people He created and the world that He set in motion, that He gave His perfect Son, Jesus Christ, who willingly died the death my rebellion deserved. He took on the consequences of our own rebellion so that anyone who believes in Him, who trusts the mystery of this true and glorious grace, will not die an eternal death but live an eternal and abundant, rich, full life with Him. 

From the beginning, God knew that it was love, not fear, that would captivate the hearts of his children. So He invites us over and over again through His Word - written to us through the generations, spanning time and transcending culture, language, gender, race, social status, wealth, and poverty - to come and accept His real love and live the free life. So I don't have to settle into that dark depression that I feel lapping at my heels. I don't have to wallow in the self pity and doubt that threaten to steal my joy and take me captive. I choose to lean into this grace, undeserved kindness that He has richly poured over my head. I am His child. My identity is not found in my mirror, how many friends I have, my possessions, or my job. I am purely, sacrificially, honestly loved. No more shame. No more games. No more trying to be good enough. Just Love forever. Love wins.

ISAIAH 55:1-3

1“Come, all you who are thirsty,
    come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
    come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
    without money and without cost.
Why spend money on what is not bread,
    and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
    and you will delight in the richest of fare.
Give ear and come to me;
    listen, that you may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
    my faithful love promised to David.

No comments:

Post a Comment